Domaine de Grolhier is located in the county of Dordogne, in South West France. The area is also called Perigord Vert, due to its hundreds of square kilometres of forest. The property is situated in the heart of the Perigord-Limousin Natural Park.
The area is full of small villages, which hold countless fetés over the summer months and host local farmers markets daily, one of the biggest of
the area held in Piegut, 5km away.
The Dordogne is also famous for it's fine cuisine of duck, truffles and walnuts, all locally grown and served in the restaurants.
Just a few suggestions for a day out in the near area:
- Spend a day at the St Estephe swimming lake, basking on the sandy beach with a refreshing drink from the beach side bar or take advantage of the free canoes to explore the 28 hectare lake. There is also a lovely walk around the lake with a cable pulled ferry crossing for you to negotiate.
- Visit a vinyard for a tour and tasting in St Sornin. Depending on the season, there are tours and hands on experiences available amongst the grapevines.
- Visit one of the hundreds of chateaux in the area, for example, in La Rochefoucauld chateau after your guided tour, you will have the chance to try on some clothes from the 17th Century!
- Spend the Wednesday morning at the local market in Piegut. If you don't find it there, you probably won't need it!
- Canoeing on the local rivers is a great adventure. You can take a pic-nic with you and stop en-route on a shady spot. Or have a "menu de jour" before you depart in one of the wonderful restaurants on the banks of the crystal clear river Dronne.